[PLUG] M$ Only Government Sites, was Accessing Old Microsoft Files With OO.o-2.1

robinson-west user plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Wed Feb 20 18:02:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 07:52 -0800, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> Ken Stephens wrote:
> > Richard C. Steffens wrote:
>
> >> ...Like you, my goal is to some day
> >> be able to do all my computing with Linux and open source software. That
> >> day is still somewhere off in the future.
>
> > I don't suppose you want to use windows in Vmware on you Linux system to
> > access IE only sites.  At least that way you would only need one computer.
>
> That's something I'll get to one of these days. For now, I have a KVM
> switch hooked up and plugged into both machines. I don't use the monitor
> part, but while I'm in my home office I put the laptop up on the riser
> with my Linux machine's monitor and just use the one keyboard and mouse.
> I keep my home activity on the Linux machine and my business activity on
> the laptop. It works well enough that, for now, it falls into the "don't
> fix what ain't broke" category.

Crossover Linux will run IE6 at least, if I'm not mistaken.  This
saves one the trouble of emulating a copy of Windows.

BTW, How do you install Windows 2000 so that you don't have to
be an administrator to use say a USB thumb drive?  What updates
are people using for 2000 these days?  I wish there was an open
source program to go out and get all of the 2000 updates and
create a private mirror that Windows update can be pointed at.
Same thing for XP.

Here's an idea, pass a law for updates to proprietary consumer
software forcing it to be open source.  So what if someone
reverse engineers your software, they still have to get away
with large volume distributions or sales of their stolden
property to actually hurt your bottom line.  You can take
your chunk out of an attempt to sell your software illegally.
There is always the option of a hefty fine for abusers of
open source proprietary software.  Open sourcing the updates
would be a boon for the honest users of your software and
make it more popular.