[PLUG] Living with M$ and Linux on Multiple machines was: M$ Only Government Sites...

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Feb 20 18:59:54 UTC 2008

Ken Stephens wrote:

> Of course another alternative is to run vnc server on your Windows
> system and run the vnc viewer on your Linux system.

I thought about that once, but never got around to it.

> At least you would not have to reach up to the KVM.

My KVM uses a double click on the <Scroll Lock> key, so it's no biggie
to reach.

> Another alternative is to run synergy
> on both systems.  That way you can use one keyboard and mouse to control
> both systems.

I haven't heard of synergy. I'll have to look into that.

> I must run my companies Windows laptop at home once in a
> while and use synergy from my Linux home system to control both
> systems.  Just move the mouse from one to the other.  At work I have
> three LCD monitors, 2 for a Linux system and 1 for the laptop and I even
> leave the laptop open to use its screen for email.  It's a pain to have
> to use only the laptop screen at home.

I've been a fan of multiple monitors since the first time I used the
English CAD software (the name of which slips me) that was sold on Prime
Computers back in the early 1980's. There was a dumb terminal for text
operations and the big, color monitor for the drawing. I've always found
it useful to be able to have help files open on one screen while trying
to do something related on the other.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens