[PLUG] M$ Only Government Sites, was Accessing Old Microsoft Files With OO.o-2.1

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Feb 21 00:17:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:02:33 -0800
robinson-west user <plug_1 at robinson-west.com> dijo:

> BTW, How do you install Windows 2000 so that you don't have to
> be an administrator to use say a USB thumb drive?  What updates
> are people using for 2000 these days?  I wish there was an open
> source program to go out and get all of the 2000 updates and
> create a private mirror that Windows update can be pointed at.
> Same thing for XP.

I don't know how it works with VMware and other virtual machine
utilities, but with VirtualBox I have no problem mounting a USB stick.
I just launch VirtualBox, select (but don't launch) the Windows 2000
machine, insert the USB stick, wait a sec for it to automount in Linux,
then open a terminal to see where Linux mounted it (in my
case /media/disk). Then I go into Shared Folders for the Windows 2000
machine and add this as a shared folder. Whenever I launch Windows 2000
this folder will show up in Windows Explorer along with any other
shared folders. Actually, you don't even have to go to this much
trouble - if you know that your distro will always mount stuff
in /media you can just add /media as the shared folder and then any
removable drives will be accessible there.

As for othjer USB devices, mice and keyboards are just automatically
available, but I don't know about things like modems or wifi cards and
such because I've never had any of those to worry about.

As for Windows updates, since VirtualBox automatically configured the
network for Windows 2000 as well as Linux I can just go anywhere on the
net from Windows 2000 the same as I can from Linux. So to get an update
for Windows 2000 I just went off to microsoft.com and told it to do an
express update over the net. A short while later it was updated to SP4.
I can also update any other program that can be updated over the net,
e.g., Sun Java, etc., and I can install anything over the net (flash,
realplayer, etc.).

I haven't found anything that doesn't work in Windows 2000 under
VirtualBox the same as it does in Linux.