[PLUG] puzzle of the day - unpuzzled

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Thu Feb 21 21:32:23 UTC 2008

> > - No reason to use /boot nowadays IMO, since grub is great and doesn't
> >   have size limitations for finding kernels.
>
> Is grub able to handle logical volumes? This claims it is able to in
> 1.95, but as current as Fedora is typically, it has only 0.97. Ah, STFW:
> 1.95 is the new, in-development GRUB 2; 0.97 is the current stable
> "legacy" version.

That's true, in the situation where you want to use LVM on all
partitions, /boot may be useful.  For me, I just consider all of my
system partitions expendable.  I keep any important data on separate
partitions that can be mirrored.  If I'm worried about losing configs
in /etc or something, I just back them up to the mirrored set.  You can
also do full system mirrors without using LVM at all, so grub can boot
that fine.

tim