[PLUG] Kubuntu Dolphin Thumbnails - Solution

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Sat Feb 23 01:03:15 UTC 2008

Ryan wrote:
> > > I just switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu (I go back and fourth
> > > every couple of releases) and they are now using dolphin as the default
> > file
> > > manager.  ...  How in the world do I
> > > get Dolphin to show me a thumbnail for movie files? I suspect I need to
> > > install a multimedia package but witch one?
> >
> > Installing MoviePlayer, MPlayer or Kaffiene woun't help, as I have them
> > installed and see the same behavior from Dolphin as you do.  For that
> > matter,
> > Konqueror also does not display thumbnails, at least for .avi files.
> >
> > My research didn't turn up an answer to your query.

but I didn't give up and ...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdemultimedia/+bug/51024

"I finally found the solution by installing libarts1-xine AND
libxine-extracodecs."

My system already had libxine-extracodecs.  installing libarts1-xine enabled
thumbnail viewing for avi files from my still cameras.

Konqueror needed to be restarted, Dolphin just needed to reread the directory.

This is good.  Seeing the thumbnail makes life easier.

OT - of Mplayer, Movie Player and Kaffeine only Mplayer did well on presenting
the soundtrack of the mini-movies.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity