[PLUG] Relationship between Mac and Linux

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 02:19:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Victor Soich <vsoich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Debian on my system.  I am going through the book
>
> Easy Linux Commands
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Linux-Commands-Working-Examples/dp/0975913506/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203897852&sr=1-1
>
> which I think is just super.
>
> My nephew is coming to Portland with his Mac laptop with "Leopard" 10.5.1
>
> If I open up the terminal, will all the commands in the Easy Linux
> Commands work exactly the same.  Remember, these are beginner linux
> commands.  Or is there some gotcha that I should be aware of?
>
> Sincerely,
> Victor Soich

Mac OS X has Darwin as its UNIX core, which is BSD-ish.
When you go back far enough it derives from NeXTSTEP UNIX, which was Steve
Job's other project back in the 90s, and that was BSD based.
You can still see some of the NeXT lineage in the OS X file manager among
other places, if you switch the file view to three column mode, this is
exactly how NeXTSTEP did it.

So to boil it down, when you open a terminal on OS X, it will be BSD-ish
rather than System V-ish (like most current Linux distros).
Most of the "beginner" Linux commands should work more or less (pun
intended).
For example you would use "ps aux" instead of "ps -ef".

Here are some good resources:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macxtigerunix/
http://www.osxfaq.com/Tutorials/LearningCenter/