[PLUG] Relationship between Mac and Linux

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Feb 25 04:15:25 UTC 2008

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Matt McKenzie wrote:

>> If I open up the terminal, will all the commands in the Easy Linux
>> Commands work exactly the same.  Remember, these are beginner linux
>> commands.  Or is there some gotcha that I should be aware of?
>
> Mac OS X has Darwin as its UNIX core, which is BSD-ish. When you go
> back far enough it derives from NeXTSTEP UNIX, which was Steve Job's
> other project back in the 90s, and that was BSD based. You can still
> see some of the NeXT lineage in the OS X file manager among other
> places, if you switch the file view to three column mode, this is
> exactly how NeXTSTEP did it.
>
> So to boil it down, when you open a terminal on OS X, it will be
> BSD-ish rather than System V-ish (like most current Linux distros).
> Most of the "beginner" Linux commands should work more or less (pun
> intended). For example you would use "ps aux" instead of "ps -ef".

The newer BSD utils in Leopard (10.5) behave more GNU-like than those
in Tiger (10.4). In fact, the very example you gave is one of the
changes; I know, because I like "ps -ef" better than "ps aux" for some
things.

In Tiger, "ps -ef" fails, but it will succeed in Leopard.

Furthermore, while ps/ls and the like are from the BSD side of things,
the GNU version of several utilites are there, including tar, grep,
m4, and make.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com