[PLUG] Relationship between Mac and Linux

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Feb 25 19:02:04 UTC 2008

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Victor Soich <vsoich at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  If I open up the terminal, will all the commands in the Easy Linux
>>  Commands work exactly the same.  Remember, these are beginner linux
>>  commands.  Or is there some gotcha that I should be aware of?
>>

> One thing that cause me *many* problems is that the file system in OS
> X is *NOT* case-sensitive, but it does preserve case (and the
> auto-completion *IS* case-sensitive).  This is one of the main
> reason's I don't use a mac any more -- the first time I realized that
> Documents and documents were the same folder was when I obliterated
> one with the other :(.  (This was a while ago -- I don't expect that
> the filesystem is suddenly case-sensitive, but perhaps the tools make
> it more obvious now.)

You can make a volume case sensitive.  You just have to format it as UFS,
not the HFS+ format.  (Some packages will not build under OSX unless you
build on such a partition.)

My big problem with the Mac (besides the single button mouse) is the
proprietary nature of the OS.  Apple still acts like they own you.  The
patents on their interface alone are enough to make me not want to use
their OS.  Yes it has a Unix core.  But it also has a proprietary mindset
everywhere you (next)step.