[PLUG] Intel GMA X3100 vs. nVidia GeForce GS 256 MB

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Feb 27 23:20:03 UTC 2008

Matt McKenzie wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Roderick A. Anderson <raanders at acm.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Quick insight.  Are there any reasons to prefer an Intel GMA X3100 over
>>  a nVidia GeForce GS 256 MB, on a laptop running Ubuntu?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Rod
>> --
>>

> It would help if you can give the model # of the NVidia card (and possibly
> the laptop models).  GS is a sub-model, such as GS, GT, etc.  We need the
> model #, such as 6150, 7600, 8800, etc. to better be able to compare.

Slow brain, and fingers, today.  This is an option for a System76
laptop.  Here is the whole thing.

	nVidia GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB graphics and 2 Mega Pixel Built-In Webcam

The reason I even asked is because the Built-In Webcam only comes with
the nVidia.  The person I'm working with on this will be traveling tp
Mexico and where he is going Cell service doesn't not exist but he is
looking at Hughes Net satellite service so would be able to use Skype or
some other VoIP-ish method for phone service.  A Webcam is icing to this.

> Generally speaking though, NVidia or ATI discreet video with dedicated RAM
> would tend to have better video performance than Intel with shared RAM.
> I don't know if the GMA X3100 is different from other Intel video chips I
> have no experience with that particular one.

I thought nVidia is pretty good choice.  I've always had good success
with them even back in the early days of binary-only drivers.

Also I'm not of the "Ubuntu Faith" so am concerned if they work well
with Ubuntu.

> In a laptop there can be power ramifications with using a dedicated video
> vs. shared video.  There are things both ATI and NVidia do to mitigate that,
> I know NVidia uses a thing called "Powermizer" to scale performance to
> conserve battery life.  There is always a trade-off, better performance ==
> less battery time, slower performance == better battery time.  Both ATI and
> NVidia also have control panel settings you can adjust, but there aren't as
> many options in the Linux version as in the Winders version usually.  I am
> not sure about Intel if it has similar controls, it very well probably does,
> I haven't seen it myself.

Well I think for most of the time he will be tethered, near power, or
doing small tasks.

Thanks for the great insights.

Rod