[PLUG] Debugging odd effect a Slackware machine has on a network printer

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Feb 29 16:44:23 UTC 2008

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> OK. How do I figure out which of those services I need and which I don't?

> Is the process (for figuring out what services do) to take every thing in
> the output of ps ax that ends with "d" and run a Google search to learn
> what it is, or is there a better place to search for that information?

   What I'd do is decide what non-kernel services I want to run; e.g., httpd,
sshd, postfix, whatever. That is, what do you want this machine to do. Then
I would explicitly enable those services and leave the rest as they are.

   As I understand the point of the exercise is to see if this host somehow
causes the network printer to rumble and complain now and then. If that's
the case, then let's focus on what might be doing this -- CUPS -- and ignore
the rest for now.

> OK, but what do I do to tell Slackware not to run those scripts at boot
> time? I'd like to make the changes relatively permanent, so that
> recovery from power failures can happen without my involvement.

   chmod a-x rc.<whatever>

   This makes them non-executable. Also, look in /etc/rc.d/rc.local and see
what that loads at the end of the boot process.

> Aha! I added Slack-2 to Moonguide's ...

   Isn't this one of Frank Zappa's kids?