[PLUG] Metrofi wins Rogue of the Week

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 10 03:26:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:

>>> My laptop can see a MetroFi node from my desk at work.  I have never been
>>> able to get an IP address from it or connect in any usable way.

>> The official story is that they use the highest power allowed, so
>> they transmit farther than the typical wireless. Their solution is
>> for you to to get a high power card.

> Seems like a better answer would be to get a higher gain antenna...

   I think that there's often much more involved. When I was in Lovelock, NV
last summer the motel had wifi access but I could not get an IP address. Not
even when I sat directly under one of the access points. But, I could see
all of them. Very strange.

   Last autumn, a similar situation happened to a friend at a local
(Portland) coffee house with wifi access. I had no problems, but he did.
Yet, he visited that shop regularly and never before had the problem.

   It's radio and computers. Something's bound to go wrong.