[PLUG] Metrofi wins Rogue of the Week

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Jan 10 17:40:28 UTC 2008

>>> Comcast is evil in the sense that they have terms of service that
>>> say you should not share your connection.  There are several DSL
>>> ISPs that are explicitly sharing friendly, e.g.:
>>>
>>> Stephouse Networks Easystreet Speakeasy Integra (if you have a
>>> business line)
>
> Paul> But which has a good Mbps/$ ratio?  If you're getting fewer Mbps
> Paul> than Comcast for the same or more money than Comcast, they suck
> Paul> automatically.
>
> If Comcast isn't giving you the freedom that you want, they aren't
> even in the picture.  Period.

I have had a number of cold calls from Comcast trying to get me to buy
service from them.  Every time I tell the sales droid exactly why I cannot
use their service.  It never seems to make its way back to corporate.  Now
that they are filtering/damaging packets, I have even less reason to use
their service. (And they have proven that they cannot be trusted.)

I need to be able to have a fixed IP, run a mail server and web server,
and be able to run encrypted traffic via SSH.  All those things Comcast
wants to charge me extra for without providing any additional service.