[PLUG] Top-Posting (was: Re: Metrofi wins Rogue of the Week)

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 23:25:31 UTC 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 2:52 PM, Ken Hill <ken at scottshill.com> wrote:
> Rogan Creswick wrote:
> > A: Because it makes conversations hard to follow!
> > Q: Why shouldn't you top post?
> >
> > There are handful of other reasons -- it's just polite to make thinks
> > easier for everyone else, for example, but I think the disjointed
> > conversation flow that results from top-posting is the biggest issue.
>
> I agree with this, but unfortunately many email clients default to the
> process of replying with the previous message below and not on top.

I imagine it will be a good long while before *any* email client will
know where to put your cursor when you start a reply ;)  Given the
choice between starting at the top, bottom, or some random location in
the middle, I'll choose one of the first two any time.  (I actually
have a slight preference for starting at the top, since it makes it
easier to scroll down to the place I actually want to quote.)

Hm... I wonder if a paradigm where you format the reply while reading
the email (similar to word's track-changes -- so you can see what
you've added / deleted) and then choose the recipients, would work for
people.   As long as a pristine version of the original email is kept,
and accessible, I don't see any reason to keep *any* email immutable.

--Rogan