[PLUG] Top-Posting

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Fri Jan 11 07:34:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 17:11 -0800, Alan wrote:
> > Rich Shepard wrote:

> >>    They all put the cursor at the upper left corner. The issue is that
> >> too
> >> many folks just start typing there and don't make the effort to trim
> >> cruft,
> >> isolate portions of the original message to which they want to respond,
> >> then
> >> type their response beneath that quoted text.
> >>
> >>    It's like html-formatted mail: when all your friends and colleages
> >> top
> >> post and send html mail, why bother being different? There are no tests
> >> and
> >> licenses required before driving on the information highway.
> >>
> >> Rich
> >>

> > Actually, Thunderbird puts the cursor below the original email text.
> > Also, being a n00b to email lists, I wasn't aware of proper posting
> > etiquette. And personally, I prefer the newest posts at the top so I
> > don't have to scroll down past all of the posts I've already read. So
> > honestly, it doesn't matter to me where other people post, as I have a
> > scroll wheel mouse and it takes less than a second to find the latest
> > post. But obviously it matters to other people and if there's a
> > generally accepted way of posting then we should all do our best to
> > follow suit.
>
> The biggest problem is Outlook.  Outlook pretty much forces you to top
> post.  (Unless you want to reformat all the quoted material by hand.  And
> companies force you to use it because of Exchange.
>
> Outlook is one of the many reasons I hate Microsoft.

Lotus Notes is worse, it will not even let you move the cursor below the
top of the original message.  You have no choice but to top post.

I monitor three separate email accounts for my day job, one using Lotus Notes, one using the web version of Outlook and the third uses OpenWebMail.  OpenWebMail is by far the superior product.

--
Derek Loree