[PLUG] Torrent download speeds - was: Metrofi wins Rogue of the Week

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 23:42:46 UTC 2008

> I don't understand what benefit you think you would receive from your ISP
> tracking your bandwidth usage.  Surely this is something better done by
> the users themselves.  It is, after all, personal information that is
> maybe not such a good thing to collect in a big database outside the
> control of the people it concerns.
>
> J.

Any business internet account would get full bandwidth accounting
complete with bar graphs, pie charts, and threshold alerts for
over-usage. The point of it is to see how much actual bandwidth you're
consuming. I would imagine the average 40hr/wk working person is on the
internet from their home approximately 20 hrs/wk. And for that same
average person a very small percentage of that time is for
high-bandwidth usage.

If I'm hogging bandwidth and making internet access in my neighborhood
miserable for everyone else than I should pay more. You have to
understand how these companies dole out bandwidth. The industry standard
is to over-subscribe 4 to 1. They are just trying to get as many people
signed up for access and are banking on the fact that *most* people only
use their connection a few hrs/day and *generally* don't consume large
amounts of bandwidth for long periods of time.

--mike