[PLUG] Torrent download speeds - was: Metrofi wins Rogue of the Week

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 23:59:20 UTC 2008

Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, Mike Connors wrote:

>>> Do they have an obligation to tell customers what they are doing?
>>>

>> Technically, only in as much as what is defined in the terms of service
>> agreement. Which I don't think too many people have read in full nor
>> declined using their service based on it except a few enlightened people
>> on this mailing list.
>>

> I think that Denis is hinting at a moral and ethical obligation which goes
> far and away beyond any merely legal entanglements.
>
> After all, the law is there only to atttempt to reconcile design flaws.
> Doing what is legal is doing the bare minimum and I would argue that we
> have an obligation to do much more than that.
A terms of service agreement (policy) is not *just* for legal purposes.
It's the agreement that your master (ISP) makes you agree to how you
(slave) will use the service. You could easily not be breaking any law
but using a lot of bandwidth via streaming media and seeding ISOs. But
if your ISP decides that usage is not with their policy they apparently
have the right to terminate your service at any time and you have no
rights. Welcome to Corporate America...

--mike