[PLUG] Where'd sg0 go?

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Jan 15 15:50:35 UTC 2008

At one point yesterday afternoon the wind was picking up enough to cause
some beeping from my battery backup. Since it appeared that it was just
getting started and was getting worse, I shut down my various computers.
As it turned out, that was the worst of the wind, and we never did lose
power out here.

I have a post-it note that reminds me to change the permissions of
/dev/sg0 to 666 so I can use my scanner without running as root. When I
tried to do that I found that there is no /dev/sg0. I realized that when
I shut down the computer yesterday I also shut off the scanner. I didn't
power up the scanner this morning. I remember that the instructions for
the scanner (when I used to use it on Win98) said that the scanner had
to be powered on before booting or the machine would not be able to find
it.

Is that true of all SCSI devices? I.e., does the hardware have to be
powered up for the system to see before /dev/sg0 will be created?

Is there some way to tell the system to expect a SCSI device sometime in
the future without having it powered up before booting?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens