[PLUG] Where'd sg0 go?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Jan 15 16:00:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> At one point yesterday afternoon the wind was picking up enough to
> cause some beeping from my battery backup. Since it appeared that it
> was just getting started and was getting worse, I shut down my
> various computers. As it turned out, that was the worst of the wind,
> and we never did lose power out here.
>
> I have a post-it note that reminds me to change the permissions of
> /dev/sg0 to 666 so I can use my scanner without running as root.
> When I tried to do that I found that there is no /dev/sg0. I
> realized that when I shut down the computer yesterday I also shut
> off the scanner. I didn't power up the scanner this morning. I
> remember that the instructions for the scanner (when I used to use
> it on Win98) said that the scanner had to be powered on before
> booting or the machine would not be able to find it.
>
> Is that true of all SCSI devices? I.e., does the hardware have to be
> powered up for the system to see before /dev/sg0 will be created?
>
> Is there some way to tell the system to expect a SCSI device
> sometime in the future without having it powered up before booting?

Some SCSI hardware does great with hotplugging, but it's not
universally true.

I think SANE ships with a hotplug script that can be used to identify
recently arrived hardware, but I don't know if it works with SCSI
devices.

Various Linux distributions include utilities for rescanning a SCSI
bus. Google for "$DISTRO rescan scsi bus" for your flavor. Under
RHEL/CentOS, for instance, the directions (which might also work with
your distribution) were easy to find:

   http://misterd77.blogspot.com/2007_12_01_archive.html

If all else fails, you can "modprobe -r" your SCSI driver (assuming
your boot device doesn't use it!), power on your scanner, then reload
the module(s). Your bus will get a clean scan and sg0 should pop up in
dmesg.