[PLUG] Monitoring Unix systems with open source

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Fri Jan 18 22:57:14 UTC 2008

Brent Jones wrote:
> Cacti:

I used this at PSU to collect interface stats on all our routers and
switches (phased out cricket).  Worked great, but can be a bit verbose
for those who don't know how rrdtool works.

> Zabbix:
> Open source SNMP and Agent-based monitoring tool that performs similar
> functions as Cacti, but uses installable agents to get more information
> about a host system, such as running processes, database monitoring, system
> health (raid status, power supplies, etc).
> http://www.zabbix.com

I'm going to be trying this out soon.  Currently I'm using a mix of
nagios and munin for health checks and stats.

Zenoss is another application, but it didn't look as baked as Zabbix
when I reviewed them a few months ago.

Munin is super easy to get working out of the box for those who need
some instant gratification for host stats.

--
I'm just a packet pusher.