[PLUG] Monitoring Unix systems with open source

Mark Turner amerine at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 23:03:38 UTC 2008

> > Zabbix:
> > Open source SNMP and Agent-based monitoring tool that performs similar
> > functions as Cacti, but uses installable agents to get more information
> > about a host system, such as running processes, database monitoring, system
> > health (raid status, power supplies, etc).
> > http://www.zabbix.com
>
> I'm going to be trying this out soon.  Currently I'm using a mix of
> nagios and munin for health checks and stats.

Just this week I migrated from a Nagios/Cacti setup to a Zabbix one.
I've been using nagios for years... but zabbix quickly gained my favor
for ease of configuration, speed, and "triggers".

You do not have to use agents to watch network services like IMAP,
DNS, etc. You can also use SNMP instead of the agent. It has pretty
good jabber support as long as you include it during the ./configure.

I highly suggest it!

-Mark