[PLUG] Installing Kubuntu in VMware on XP

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 23:59:21 UTC 2008

On 1/22/08, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
> I have space on my XP laptop to load VMware Server (which I have done),
> and want to try different versions of Linux on it starting with Kubuntu.
> Has anyone done this?

I've created Linux VMs using the ISO files. But now there are actually
quite a few Linux OS Distro Appliances. If you're not familiar with
the VM Appliances, here's a short article -
http://www.petri.co.il/virtual_top_5_free_vmware_appliances.htm.

One of the nice things about appliances is that you can just use
vmplayer and run whaterver appliance you want. Which makes test
driving Linux distros quick & easy.

Here's the main link for vmware appliances - http://www.vmware.com/appliances/

> Of all the possible downloads, which one(s) should I start with?

If you're referring to Linux Distros, that's like asking which flavor
of ice cream should I try at Baskin Robbins. For me, it's the distros
that I consider interesting: CentOS, Gentoo, dyne:bolic. You could
read some of the reviews on distrowatch.com and then find vm
appliances for those distros that tickle your fancy...:-)

I hope that helps.