[PLUG] Installing Kubuntu in VMware on XP

Tim Bruce timb at bruce4.com
Wed Jan 23 00:33:32 UTC 2008

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008 4:10 PM, Tim Bruce <timb at bruce4.com> wrote:
>
>> VMWare will only bind to one adapter. It generally selects your primary
>> one (hardwired port). I "cheated" by adding a second virtual network
>> tied to my eth1 (wireless port). But I have to switch the VMs to use
>> that or the primary.
>>

> Not true!  VMware will bind as many as you tell it to :-)  In general,
> eth0 is mapped to vmnet0 and eth1 should be mapped to vmnet2.  vmnet1
> is automatically mapped to host-only networking.  You can reconfigure
> this behavior with vmware-config.pl during installation or at any
> time.  I usually map both my wired and wireless interfaces on the same
> virtual machine and don't have issues.  One time I mapped 24
> interfaces for a project I was doing at Cisco :-)

Kristian - thank you for clarifying. I meant to say that by DEFAULT it
only binds to a single physical Ethernet adapter. Your explanation was
much clearer than mine. And I did exactly the same, binding eth1 (my
wireless) to vmnet2 while eth0 (my wired 100BaseT) was bound to vmnet0
(default bridged network).

Sorry it wasn't as clear as your description.

Tim