[PLUG] Allow Users to Kill Process

Charlie Schluting charlie at schluting.com
Wed Jan 23 23:29:51 UTC 2008

On 1/23/08 2:48 PM, Mark Turner wrote:
> I am stumped with this one...
> I would like to have a group of users that can kill processes on a linux
> server without using sudo. I would like them to be able to just run
> 'kill <processes ID>' and have it work for any processes.
>
> This does not sound secure... I know, trust me but its better than
> putting everyone in the root group.
>
> Any idea how I would accomplish this?

But.. this what sudo is for (it's NOT for 'sudo bash'... i.e. providing
a root shell with your user password). I would allow all people in said
group access to run the kill command via sudo.

As other people said - just create setuid a C wrapper that takes the PID
argument and kills it. Only allow people in the desired group to execute it.

  -Charlie