[PLUG] I Need Linux Books (etc)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Jan 24 02:27:39 UTC 2008

This is a good time to remind PLUG members that we have a library
of mostly new books at http://www.pdxlinux.org/wiki/PlugLibrary .

You probably won't find the particular textbook your instructor
assigned.  It is usually a good idea to buy the textbook, perhaps
used, there are websites for that.  If you are generous, you can
donate it to the library when you are done.  The assigned text may
not have all the information you need, but it will have most of it.

However, the PLUG library contains many books covering some of the
same subjects, at least a chapter or two, and sometimes a different
author or treatment will help you understand a particular topic that
the textbook author cannot explain well.  Most of the time, there is
some book or journal article that explains the topic better than the
textbook author(s) do.  After all, 90% of what a textbook writer
writes about is not their speciality.  It is often better to read
what the authors read in order to write the textbook.  It is better
still to read newer work;  the textbook writer drew from materials
older than the textbook.  The new stuff is in the PLUG library.

Please read the instructions on the wiki, and let me know a day or
two in advance, and I will bring them to a meeting.  At the very
low rates books are being checked out, you probably can keep the
book a long time before someone else wants it.  I would like to
get these books out of my basement and in use!

Keith