[PLUG] Disk wiping utility?

kurt braget joehaircut at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 02:49:29 UTC 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 5:40 PM, Matt McKenzie <lnxknight at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the OP's case you would just set all the partitions to format, and it
> would've "wiped" the old data, though not to DoD standards.
> It sounds like the OP wanted to accomplish 2 things here- wipe out
> Windowz,
> and learn about data wiping tools.  So mission accomplished, it sounds
> like?  Tell us how the SuSE install goes.

Install went great. One thing I like about wiping and then installing was:
learning a bit about the tools to wipe the drive, not having to get involved
too much in the partition scheme, since the openSUSE install disk defaults
to (what seems to me) a good partition scheme. I realize that my knowledge
of how to partition and modify an existing partition is pretty week and I'm
looking forward to changing that.

Feels good to run 'df -h' and see 16G's available on /dev/sda2 and 33G's
available on /dev/sda3, AND no entry for Windows. Thanks guys.

Kurt