[PLUG] Resolved: Router Problem

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 09:42:02 UTC 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 10:27 PM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:

> drew wymore wrote:

> >> This might be stupid to ask but if you plug in the cable modem to the
> >> router then powercycle the cable modem, then the router and see if
> service
> >> is restored. The cable modems cache the mac addrs
> >>

> > Stupid laptop keyboard!
> >
> > I was going to say that cable modem cache's the mac of the last attached
> > device, so you have to powercycle the cable modem wipe the cache.
>
> Not a stupid question at all. I did think of that, and tried it to no
> avail. However, at your prompting I tried it again, and this time it
> worked. I pulled the power connections from both the cable modem and the
> router and waited several seconds. Then, I reconnected the power to the
> cable modem, waited a few seconds, and reconnected the power to the
> router. I watched the lights do their blinking things, and tried to get
> e-mail. I'm replying the way I normally do, through the router.
>
> Thanks for prompting me to try again something that didn't work the
> first time. Maybe I didn't wait long enough to power up the router the
> first time.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

Dick,
Glad its working again. May have been a timing thing or it could just be
buggy firmware on the router. I had troubles with Netgear routers losing
their DHCP lease from the cable modem and no matter how much I powercycled
it, it wouldn't renew the lease. That said, I've had trouble with Linksys as
well so its not a vendor specific problem.

Drew-