[PLUG] Preferred Routers, was Router Problem

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:00:56 UTC 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 1:57 AM, kurt braget <joehaircut at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2008 8:06 AM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > And, which routers do you folks prefer? I'll consider adding wireless
> > capability, too.
> >

> Not only do I need some advice on a good wireless router, but also a good
> place to buy one from in my area. I live in the SE 39th and Hawthorn area,
> hoping there's something closer than Fry's. Moved here form CA recently so
> don't know where anything is yet.
>
> As for a wireless router, I have a Netgear WGT624 v2, and a Netgear WGT624
> v4, and they both crap out every time I start downloading large files.
>
> One weird thing about wireless in my area: if metro-fi goes down,
> everything
> else seems to go down. I've tested this several times with 4 separate
> laptops, on several different occasions. This is probably a separate
> topic,
> but here is a scenario: I check the AP's on 2 - 4 different laptops,
> Metro-fi and Metro-fi premium are up. Metro-fi goes down, and new AP's
> become visible (confirmed on multiple laptops). Right now, for example,
> Metro-fi and Metro-fi premium are up (which are apparently the same AP).
> If
> I connect to Metro-fi, eventually it will go down, then 2 - 4 new access
> points will go up, in addition to Metro-fi, yet, Metro-fi will not deliver
> internet. Moral of the story is, maybe there is some frequency issue going
> on in my area, but I'm not sure how to test for that (really want to learn
> though, so point me to a reference or tool-set if you know of one). If
> there
> is a frequency issue, I may not need a new router. I would like to try a
> Linksys though, as I've never had any trouble with them.
>
> Yeah, even with a comcast account, I'm still complaining about Metro-fi ;)
>
> Kurt

I agree with Russell and others who recommend the old(er)  Linksys gear.  I
have a  54G  that I've had for 4 years or so. I'm running the paid firmware
from here http://www.sveasoft.com/ and its been great.

Kurt - Try Fred Meyer should be able to pick up something reasonable there.
As to your question about the AP's bouncing up and down. I could be totally
wrong but I'm going to posit that its probably channels banging against each
other, I don't know enough about Metro Fi or the wireless situation around
your area so someone may have more info then me. I know when I started
getting neighbors moving into my apartment complex who added wireless I had
to change channels a few times because my AP kept dropping because we were
using the same frequency.

Drew-