[PLUG] Preferred Routers, was Router Problem

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Thu Jan 31 21:54:40 UTC 2008

On 30 Jan 2008 09:05:53 -0800, Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> wrote:

> Richard> And, which routers do you folks prefer? I'll consider adding
> Richard> wireless capability, too.
>
> For me, the ability to run my own linux-based firmware on the thing is
> paramount, so I would pick something with that in mind.  Of those, I'd
> go for one of these:
>
>   Linksys WRT54GL
>   ASUS WL-500g Premium

I strongly advise against selecting a router that is not compatable
with dd-wrt, just in case you decide the stock firmware is garbage (it
probably is).  Of those, I advise against consumer-grade units; go
with the commercial grade hardware.  You have more flexability in what
you can do with a signal on the commercial units (like throw on
different kinds of antennas to meet signal requirements, etc), and
it's not as likely to randomly peter out for no obvious reason like
the El Cheapo stuff you find at Best Buy or Fry's.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo at ursine.ca