[PLUG] Epson R300 printer replacement

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Jul 1 21:56:18 UTC 2008

My Epson R300 died a few months ago, thank goodness my wife's project
was finished, and it would have cost more than I payed for the printer
to repair it.  So I'm in the market for a replacement and am having a
heck of a time choosing.

I favor Epson for a few reasons.  Beautiful photo print quality, print
on CD/DVDs, and the six (or more) ink cartridge systems.  The down side
is either buy a R280 at less than $100 or jump to $300 for the next
model.  Plus it now it appears Epson is playing the cheap printer
expensive cartridge game with the R280.  Even going to supermediastore
they cost around $13.00 each. (carrotink is a much better price but I
haven't used them before.)

There are only a few reviews on newegg but I got the impress the R280
goes through ink fast and the Epson cartridges (one manufacturer is in
China and the other is in Mexico) may not play well with each other.
Make me worry about compatible cartridges.

I looked at a couple of HP Photosmart but they don't do CD/DVD.

So anyone using a Epson R280?

Any other suggestions for a Color Inkjet, CD/DVD, photo quality printer
in the $100 range?

Anyone used carrotink before?

Thanks,
Rod