[PLUG] Linksys w/ dd-wrt suddenly goes south

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Jul 2 21:15:14 UTC 2008

I have a Linksys WRT54GL running dd-wrt v23 standard that has suddenly
started going south at random times (as in several times a day).  It is
on a LAN with a Win2k server providing Active Directory services.
Previously the LAN used route-able IPs and now is on a private IP range.
  There is most certainly residue of the old LAN still on the server.

When the Linksys goes down I can still get a wireless connection but my
N800 reports it as a link-local connection.  Typically I've seen this
when the DHCP lease does not include gateway information.

Currently I'm thinking it is flaky hardware but I'm looking for other
ideas.  There is a replacement Linksys coming, hopefully today, but I'm
hedging my bets in case it is something missed during the LAN changeover
and now a Windows service (DHCP, DNS) has come active and is using the
old network settings.

Any ideas?

TIA,
Rod