[PLUG] ssh problem...

robinson-west user plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Thu Jul 3 00:41:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 23:27 -0700, Rogan Creswick wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 9:53 PM, someone <plug_1 at robinson-west.com>
wrote:
> > root at barn:~# ls
> > Installation_ndiswrapper.html    ndiswrapper-1.5.tar.gz
> > Disconnecting: Bad packet length 3770802179.
> > [michael at goose ~]$
> > [michael at goose ~]$

> I don't think this really gives enough information -- googling for
> "Disconnecting: Bad packet length" does turn up a bunch of results
> that look relevant, but the most obvious cause seems to be related to
> ssh version mismatches that may not be an issue today.

    Another symptom of the problem is that an ssh session to this
machine will often times lock up when I run a command like cat on a
large file.  The wired equivalent that would cause this would be
unplugging the network line.  Tried pinging to test the link,
0% packet loss even if I ping 200 times.  Well, ls can lock the
session up also.  In a couple of days, I'll up the onboard ram
by a factor of 4.

     I guess the question is, how do I get more information about
this problem?

> I'd advise that you disable root logins over ssh, and/or use sudo, but
> that's probably not relevant to the disconnecting issue.

     Done.