[PLUG] Sun E420r help

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 22:58:40 UTC 2008

On 7/7/08, Daniel Herrington <herda05 at gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
>  I just bought a Sun 420r and am attempting to put Solaris 10 on it. I'm
>  using a Startech SV125 convert so I can use a PS2 and PC Monitor.
>  However, I am not seeing an ok prompt after memory initialization. The
>  cursor just sits there. Nothing I type on the keyboard registers on the
>  screen. I'm assuming the startech isn't the problem since the monitor
>  connection is working correctly.
>
>  Does anybody know how the boot process on the Sun 420r works? I'm
>  assuming I should see an ok prompt at some point in which to tell the
>  server to use the cdrom as the boot device.

well, i'd say you should hit stop-a and it should take you back to ok>
but since you're not using a sun keyboard, i'm not sure how you'd do
that...

i agree with your analysis that if you see the memory analysis, you're
good on monitor connection.  have you tried plugging a serial cable in
to see if it's using the serial port as console?  i've never tried
doing that with a sun, so i don't know at what point the serial
console would take over from the framebuffer (or if it would at
all)...but i know it's possible to go completely headless, and still
get access to the prom prompt (and i'm pretty sure 'break' is the
equivalent of stop-a on a serial console).

some googling reveals that you'll want a nullmodem and 9600 8N1
settings for that serial connection.