[PLUG] Kubuntu sound and ~/.asoundrc

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 01:00:31 UTC 2008

# from Denis Heidtmann
# on Tuesday 08 July 2008 16:46:

>>>why does removing .asoundrc and .asoundrc.asoundconf
>>>get things working?

I think it comes down to whatever was in those configs asking alsa to do
the impossible.  I'm sure it was valid for your previous installation -
and possibly generated by an older version of some config tool.  Major
changes to device names (e.g. by the kernel, udev, etc), or possibly
improvements in alsa which rendered an old work-around obsolete?  Or
simply that the default configs (/usr/share/alsa/) renamed something --
the wiki says "Before ALSA 1.0.9 you often needed one to make things
work at all ..."

>No, I had not.  Thanks for the link.  I just browsed it, and it makes
> me feel that deleting those files was a good idea. I note that
> /etc/asound.conf does not exist on my system either.
>
>There must be something in those files which tells ALSA to do the
> wrong things.

Yeah.  I think "the wrong things" were:

>>> ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition
>>> 'defaults.pcm.dmix.device'
>>> ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
>>> aplay: main:546: audio open error: No such file or directory

At least that sounds like the config was trying to point to a
non-existent device or something like it being told that your preferred
devices is the null string.

>>> This same collection of errors are produced if aplay is run as root.

For what value of "$HOME"?  It sounds like it was still loading the
config from your user's $HOME. I wouldn't expect root's permissions to
get past the "No such file or directory" -- root is all-powerful, but
he can't make the software all-knowing ;-)

--Eric
--
"But as to modern architecture, let us drop it and let us take
modernistic out and shoot it at sunrise."