[PLUG] PGE killed my desktop

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Jul 10 16:10:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 05:57:45 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

> On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, William A Morita wrote:
>
> > You do have backups for this stuff... Yes????
>
>    ... and a battery backup power supply for uninterrupted service during
> transient power outages?

This machine is the backup machine. It also has the ISOs that I have
been downloading for the Clinic. Everything on it is easily
replaceable, so no backups of it are necessary. That is, unless you
think it is necessary to have backups of the backups.

As for the UPS, yes I do have one. It is sitting on the floor unused
because it takes extra electricity and generates heat which I then must
use more electricity to remove from the room. I bought the UPS a long
time ago when my main computer was a desktop, but now my main computer
is my laptop which has its own battery.* As noted above, the desktop
machine is not mission critical.

*Interestingly, the power failure also locked up the laptop, requiring
a reboot. How that could have happened when the laptop was sitting in
its docking station with its battery available is interesting. I have
had power failures before where the laptop just automatically went to
its own battery. Any ideas why it didn't this time?