[PLUG] PGE killed my desktop

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Jul 10 16:21:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:15:42 -0700
m0gely <m0gely at telestream.com> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
> > My apologies to PGE. It was the flaky USB drive that was causing Ubuntu
> > not to boot. Having said that, a flaky external drive should not cause
> > the main filesystem not to load. Grub should go where it was told to go
> > and boot the OS it finds there.
>
> You said initially it never got to grub, so grub isn't guilty of
> anything if it never got the chance to load. I'm betting the external
> hard drive came up in the boot order before the internal drives.

When I read this my first reaction was "of course, why didn't I realize
it would try to boot from the USB device before the hard disk." But
then it occurred to me that I also had a flash drive inserted and it
didn't try to boot from it.

The BIOS is, indeed, set to boot first from the optical drive, second
from a USB drive, and *if no OS is found on either one*, then the hard
drive. So you are correct, Grub is not at fault. But the BIOS should
have found no OS on the USB drive and then proceeded to the hard drive.
The fault is in the BIOS.