[PLUG] Gramps

robinson-west user plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Wed Jul 16 05:17:16 UTC 2008

In the meantime, I've installed Gramps which looks like it will
do if it can import data from Family Tree.  I'm having a hard
time selling Gramps to my dad.  It looks like a capable
substitute for Family Tree 2008 and it is free.  I don't know
if my dad's numerous Gedcom files will import, but that's another
matter.  I for one think that open source genealogy software
makes a lot of sense.  Why trust family data and vital statistics
to something that is closed where the platform it runs on is also
closed and losing support?  My dad is complaining that Gramps
looks stripped down compared to Family Tree.  Stripped down???
Is Gramps the only open source genealogy software worth looking
into?  Has anyone migrated from Family Tree to Gramps that can
vouch for it?

        Michael C. Robinson