[PLUG] Adv topics Video - Was:zoom recorders (was: Talkshoe for Aug 7 (was Re: PCM/Cable Access show for Linux or FOSS?))

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 23:20:40 UTC 2008

# from Jim karlock
# on Friday 18 July 2008 15:27:

>A single mic will not work in JAX due to being too noisy. I got good
>results with one mic on the presenter and a second mic that I walked
>over to and pointed at the questioner.

I've been using an iriver (IFP899) mp3 player to record the Perl Mongers
meetings for at least a year now.  It is just an area mic, so it
suffers from table kicking, squeaky chairs, and fan noise (setting it
next to the projector or a hot laptop will completely ruin the
podcast), but it seems to pickup voices pretty well.

  http://pdxpm.podasp.com/archive.html?pname=meetings.xml

Selena's "2008-04-16 -- PostgreSQL Monitoring" talk (on the above page)
was recorded with this at Jax.  There is background noise, but if you
make a nicer podcast, fewer people will come to the meeting and then
there wouldn't be background noise anyway because Jax would be closed,
right?

--Eric
--
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
tried it."