[PLUG] software for automatic network diagrams?

Michael Ewan mhewan1 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 20 14:44:12 UTC 2008

znmeb at cesmail.net wrote:
> Quoting Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net>:
>

>> I am looking for existing FOSS software that can take a description of
>> a network and convert it into a nice graphic.  I know I can use
>> various tools to draw my own network diagram, but I'm looking for
>> something that works from a "source" file rather than lots and lots of
>> little mouse clicks and drags and stuff.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> I think the easiest thing would be to load dia, make a sample diagram
> with one of every gizmo you've got on your network, then save it as an
> XML file. Then you can "just" open it up in an XML editor and cut and
> paste away.
>
> If this is *your* network, you might be able to find some "network
> discovery" tools that would automate a bit more of the process. But if
> you're actually looking to code something, you'd probably find it
> easier to use dia to get you started.
>
> Dia is scriptable, but I don't remember what the scripting language
> is. It's either Python or Guile, which is a Scheme dialect.

Zenoss (www.zenoss.org) is the tool you want, auto-discovery plus
configurable devices, plus I think it will import configs (not sure
about that). As long as you have the snmp read community string, you
should be able to just map the whole thing. This is a full blow network
monitoring and management tool.