[PLUG] Dealing With Microsoft's XML Document Format

wes plug at the-wes.com
Mon Jul 21 18:57:31 UTC 2008

On 7/21/08, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Robert Citek wrote:
>
> > Getting a translator to work with OOo on Windows would be nice,
> especially
> > as a portable app.
>
>   But, wait! This is the format that Microsoft insisted was their future
> (at
> the time). Don't they provide a mechanism for those not running
> Vista/Office07 to view and work with those files? What a surprise!
>
> Rich
>
> --
> Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |  Integrity            Credibility
> Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |            Innovation
> <http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax:
> 503-667-8863

Oh, but they did. They provided all the specs to their open source
"partners" (Novell), who created a converter. The converter works great...
on specific versions of OOo on specific distros. Ubuntu found some way to
hack it in, so their users benefit too.

The OOo Ninjas I linked to in my other post appear to have found a way to
make it work for everyone. I haven't tested it on Windows yet, but they
do specifically claim that it works.

-wes