[PLUG] DNS weirdness

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 14:09:51 UTC 2008

# from Keith Lofstrom
# on Wednesday 23 July 2008 00:45:

>I am
>running my own domain server, not an outside one, and I am starting
>with "hints" from the root name servers.  The problem is that some
>of the DNS requests do not appear to get answered.

This is just for caching and/or local resolution, right?  My bind setup
contains the following info about the world, and no root.hints
directive.

        forward first;
        forwarders {
                192.168.1.1;
                192.168.0.2;
                68.238.128.12;
                68.238.64.12;
        };

That said, I may not have a clue what I'm doing.  My todo list says that
I will eventually setup dnsmasq or something else which is simpler than
bind.

  http://langfeldt.net/DNS-HOWTO/BIND-9/DNS-HOWTO.html

--Eric
--
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
tried it."