[PLUG] Quick Question (Ubuntu 'Trash')

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Jul 23 15:31:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:09:59 -0700
Guy Letourneau <guy1656 at opusnet.com> dijo:

> I am running Ubuntu HH.
>
> The desktop includes a trash / wastebasket application.
> Problem is I dropped a directory in ther and it won't Empty.
>
> I'd like to hit it with 'sudo' rmdir.
>
> Where are trash files stored in Ubuntu?
>
> Also, a command line question: I tried seaching for the directory name
> using ls -R but I found that '-R' didn't search recursively (doesn't
> 'recursive' mean 'search all the subdirectories too?') I tested this on
> a file I knew was in /home/[...]/tmp/swapby searching from '/' and it
> didn't find it.

When I go to Places > Home Folder I get a Nautilus window showing my
home folder. I have Nautilus set to show bookmarks to the left, but by
default it shows jjj, Desktop, File System, <any mounted devices>, and
Trash.

Re deleting and recursiveness, try a lowercase -r. In my experience
sometimes a command requires an uppercase -R and sometimes lowercase
-r.