[PLUG] Ubuntu and Cisco VPN client

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 06:07:18 UTC 2008

On 7/23/08, Vincent Yau <vyau5678 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
>  I am trying to get the Cisco VPN client to connect up with my work's VPN
>  server so I can login from home.
>  I have the Window XP version and the Linux version.  On Window XP, it
>  connects just fine.
>  But when trying the Linux version on my Ubuntu box, I got this error every
>  time:
>
>   Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client
>   Reason: Remote peer is no longer responding.
>   There are no new notification messages at this time.
>
>  I am sure remote peer is responding so I can turn around and get in using
>  the Window version.
>  I google'ed online and most point to a firewall issue which I have flushed
>  out by "iptables -F".
>
>  I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  Any tips/pointers much appreciated!!

funny, i had a much much easier time making the linux client connect
than the windows client.  the windows client was, in fact, unable to
connect, because our VPN server (also cisco) lacked any kind of modern
crypto license and the linux client could be forced back to the legacy
stuff but the windows one had no such knob to adjust.
for once i was happy that we were paying so much for a cisco support contract..

if you have a cisco vpn server and can enable/read the logging (i can
remember how to do this at the office tomorrow if you need) then i may
be able to offer some pointers.  the logging on the client was next to
useless, but the server log was obliquely informative, at least.