[PLUG] DNS weirdness, Actiontec FIOS

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Jul 24 06:26:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 07:41:55AM -0700, Aaron Ten Clay wrote:

> In my experience, removing the ActionTec router from the equation is
> fully supported by Verizon. Just unplug it and connect whatever router
> you wish to use instead to the ethernet jack previously occupied by
> the ActionTec router.

Sorry, I was unclear.  While I did run a CAT5 all the way to the
ONT, and asked the installer to use that, He Who Knows Better
Than The Customer decided to connect through the old Comcast
cable instead.  That is either policy, or his personal preference.
Hence the only active ports on the ONT (for now) are the phone
and the cable coax, so I need a cable modem - for now.  Perhaps
I can ask Verizon to switch the wiring, but I did not see any
activity on the ONT CAT5 port the last time I checked.

While I like the "idea" of the Actiontec in some ways, I don't
like the extra power use, extra failure point, and most importantly
the somewhat botched implementation.

Keith