[PLUG] Logout Problem in Text Mode

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Sat Jul 26 17:55:51 UTC 2008

Derek Loree wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 10:22 -0600, Bill Thoen wrote:
>
>> I recently set up a machine with FC9 and I set it to boot in text mode
>> (run level 3).
>>
>> The problem I'm having is if I login from the local terminal, when I log
>> out, the screen goes blank and I just see a single dash in the upper
>> left corner and that terminal window is now hung. I can use the next one
>> (Alt-F2) OK, but when I log out of that one, it hangs too.
>>

> I bet this is a video driver problem, what is your video card and what
> drivers are being loaded?

I'm not sure how to get the actual video card info without opening up
the box and looking, but from my xorg.conf file there's this:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "Monitor 800x600"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 35.1
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 61.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

If there's another way to get more info about this, please let me know
as I don't have a good grip on all the various Linux commands that real
SysAdmins know.