[PLUG] Logout Problem in Text Mode

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 19:00:02 UTC 2008

On 7/26/08, Carlos Konstanski <ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com> wrote:

>  But we're getting ahead of ourselves here.  If you are in runlevel 3
>  (i.e. not starting X), then it does not matter what is in your
>  xorg.conf file, Xorg.0.log file, or lsmod output.

agreed.  i think this has nothing to do with vga drivers, unless, as
Carlos wonders below, you do something weird with your console.

>  Are you setting your VGA console to a non-default size?  Are you
>  passing something like "vga=791" as a kernel parameter in menu.lst?
>  This is probably not the case, or your problem would be worse - no
>  video at all, ever, once the kernel loads.
>
>  Are you using a non-default console font, or a non-default console
>  encoding?

what i'd do is login on another virtual terminal or via ssh, and see
what is still running on the tty, if anything.  my guess is that
there's a process still running there, and that once it goes away, you
will get your login prompt back.  'ps auxw' has a 'TTY' column that
will tell you this.  the terminal you start on will be tty1.

assuming that turns up nothing, perhaps you don't have getty set up to
respawn when you logout?  what is running on the tty's you haven't yet
logged into (tty2-X, typically 6)?  are there lines referencing getty
in your /etc/inittab (assuming fedora still uses inittab)?  do you
have any commands in your .logout file?  do the system logs say
anything about the tty or processes associated with it, or in fact,
anything at all at time of logout?