[PLUG] After OSCON, seeing the mountains

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Jul 27 07:54:32 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 09:38:23PM -0700, Robert Citek wrote:

> One thing I was hoping for was a good vista point to get a photo shot
> of Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Hood.  Any recommendations for next time?

As I recall, you can get a pretty good view of Mt. Saint Helens from
45.5143, -122.7153 in Washington Park up the hill from the Zoo.
IIRC you can see both from the Pittock Mansion at 45.5254, -122.7155
but that is a much longer hike from the Zoo.  The hills are pretty
bumpy up there, and covered with trees, so it is hard to find
good places with 360 degree panoramas.  That's the way we like it.

Keep in mind that Mt. St. Helens is slightly east of north from
Portland, while Mt. Hood is slightly south of east.  A panorama
including both would be about 90 degrees.

Your best shot of both would probably be from the top of one of
the taller buildings, or perhaps from the upper cable tram
terminal at OHSU.

Perhaps we ought to move this to PLUG talk, unless somebody
has a plan to install a Linux controlled camera on one of
the TV antennas on the top of the West Hills, so Robert can
get his panorama ...

Keith