[PLUG] netfilter transparent mode (like SonicWall)

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Fri Jun 6 16:34:20 UTC 2008

Is there a netfilter (iptables) setup to do like the SonicWall
Transparent mode?  I.e. filter publicly route-able IPs.

My searching via Google keeps turning up 'transparent' and 'squid'
references.  There is no calamari involved in what I'm interested in
doing. ;-)

I'm not sure why this is currently being done; I inherited the setup
with no documentation.  I will NAT/masq the LAN until I find a good
reason to make it a transparent setup.

 From what I've read about the SonicWall (a SOHO2; which hit end-of-life
a long time ago) there is some virus, spam, etc. filtering going on.  It
seems the transparent mode would make outside (WAN/Internet) access
possible per machine instead of a doing the typical firewall port
redirection.

Currently I can not find any need for this for this customer or if the
access was ever setup or done.  May have been an up-sale by the ISP and
whoever installed the SonicWall.  More expensive hardware and a per IP
address cost.

So anyone have suggestions as to where (specifically) to look for
methods of emulating a SonicWall with netfilter/iptables?

TIA,
Rod