[PLUG] Upgrading Kubuntu 7.10 from CD?

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 23:25:19 UTC 2008

I would like to jump in with my $0.02 about the "upgrade vs. install" issue.

I run Fedora X86_64 on my main desktop, and Ubuntu (both x86 and PPC) on
several different laptops, from G3 and G4 Powerbooks, a PII Dell, and a
generic centrino.

On my desktop, I have a separate /home partition, and keep all my data on
that.  When a new release comes out I backup config files to /home, and just
do a full install, then tweak or re-merge the config files (mainly just
xorg.conf, /etc/mailcap, things like that).  Doing a full install helps keep
things cleaner IMHO.  I used to do upgrades, on this machine from Fedora
core 1 to Fedora core 2, and a few others in there.  After a while things
got a little muddy so I decided to do a clean install.  Makes life easier.
With a separate /home you can maintain your data and personal settings.

On my Ubuntu laptops I don't have separate /home, (in some cases the HDD is
only 6GB) but I don't keep much on them anyway.  Ubuntu is easier to upgrade
with the Update Manager, it has an automagic upgrade tool (which is a
front-end for apt-get dist-upgrade).  I used it a few times, it works OK.
But for Hardy I did full install on a couple of my laptops to clean them up.

Especially in a case where you are behind several releases (and will need to
do several upgrades), my recommendation is to backup your data, repartition
with a separate / and /home (and swap and possibly /boot), then do a fresh
install of Hardy.  It will save time and headaches in the long run.  Doing
an upgrade install takes longer than a regular install, and it can leave
some things in a weird or just broken state.
IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Good luck with it whichever way you go :).