[PLUG] Windows can ruin your life ...

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 15:53:02 UTC 2008

On 6/18/08, Carlos Konstanski <ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com> wrote:
> "Employer judgement" is a bit of an oxymoron, like "govermnent
>  organization".  How many of you are lucky enough to work in a place
>  where competent IT professionals are occupying the decision-making
>  positions?  I've only seen it in pure coding shops.

I used to have such a job in academia.  the director of my department
was a techie in a former life who'd become facilities manager and
finally director by doing all the crap that nobody wanted to do until
she was in effect running the place and was finally promoted to a
position that had official responsibility commensurate with the work.

we were without doubt the best run department from a tech point of
view in the huge (75,000 employee+student) university.

i miss that job.