[PLUG] A Perl Issue

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 06:21:33 UTC 2008

# from Rich Shepard
# on Wednesday 18 June 2008 14:30:

>On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
>>> I also had to make a new softlink for /usr/lib/libpq.so.4.
>>>
>>> From .4 to .so?
>   Yes, there was a complaint about not finding /usr/lib/libpq.so.4,
> so I looked and found both .3 and .5. I pointed .4 at the parent for
> the .5 library.

Hmm.

>/opt/DBD-Pg-1.49/Pg.pm
>/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i486-linux/DBD/Pg.pm
>/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i486-linux/Bundle/DBD/Pg.pm
>/root/.cpan/build/DBD-Pg-2.8.1-xp7ihj/Pg.pm
>/root/.cpan/build/DBD-Pg-1.49/blib/lib/DBD/Pg.pm
>/root/.cpan/build/DBD-Pg-1.49/Pg.pm
>
>   The version in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i486-linux/DBD is
>141926 2008-06-11 16:12
>while the version below that (in the Bundle/ directory) is
>544 2008-06-10 10:37
>That is quite a size difference between the two.

The one in Bundle/ is actually Bundle::DBD::Pg -- a totally different
module, so the size difference is to be expected.

Searching the '/' filesystem tells you something, but not what you need
to know because not all of those directories are in the search path.

>   How do I remove the 1.49 version so only the 2.8.1 version remains?
> And, is that most likely the problem?

Well, what matters is what order they're in in your @INC, if the .so is
there, and whether having it linked to the .5 is ok.

  cd /tmp/ # because . might be in @INC
  find $(perl -e 'print "$_\n" for(@INC)') -iname Pg.so
  find $(perl -e 'print "$_\n" for(@INC)') -iname Pg.pm

If you installed it with the cpan client, it should have passed the
tests - so presumably it built correctly.  If you didn't get any error
messages during the install, I have to guess that the .pm and .so got
into the wrong locations or something.

If it didn't pass the tests before the install, well...

--Eric
--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
--Occam's Razor